Skip to main content

Best of Local + Small | Favorite Denton Local Businesses

 

If there's one thing people know about me from the get-go, it's that I have a genuine love for Denton and supporting local businesses. 

In fact, it's the biggest compliment when someone says they love my page because of the honest reviews, genuine support and overly helpful content. 

After all, that is the ultimate goal for the existence of Local + Small: Denton.

Folks have asked about my "favorite this" and "favorite that" quite a few times, so I thought it would be an interesting blog for locals to reference in case they ever need a guide. Or if they're just plain curious. 

But I'm going to be honest... picking ONE favorite for each category makes me cringe

Cue "mortified face" emoji here. 

However, I realize if I start listing out every single business I love under each category, then this blog is absolutely pointless. So I did my best to think REALLY HARD and extremely mindful about selecting one local business per category below. 

Enjoy!


Local and Small Denton Favorite Things



Local + Small: Denton Top Picks


Best Denton Italian Restaurant: 

Where: Bagheri's 

Why: The quality of this Italian food is so fresh I am convinced even the pasta is homemade. It's also BYOB! Tip: They are not great about customer service or being open when they say they are online... so I recommend calling ahead and/or booking a reservation in advance to ensure you get a table when you arrive. I am excited for the new Italian places opening in Denton soon, so my favorite spot may change quickly (TBD). 

What to order: Any of the ravioli dishes. 

Check out my post about Bagheri's Denton.



Best Denton Mediterranean Restaurant:

Where: Yummy's

Why: This greek restaurant has been in Denton for a long time and has not only great prices, but also the best gyros in town. It's also BYOB.

What to order: Lamb Gyro with fries.






Best Denton Cajun / Seafood Restaurant:

Where: The Catch

Why: I realize this isn't hyper local, but they have really great baskets with the perfect seasoning. Plus, FREE / UNLIMITED MARGARITAS, HURRICANES AND MICHELOB ULTRA! No catch (despite the name). It started out as a small Texas chain and quickly expanded so I still consider this somewhat local. Don't hate me.

What to order: Fried Shrimp or Catch Fried Fish baskets with fries and hushpuppies. 

Check out my post about The Catch Denton.



Best Denton New American Restaurant:

Why: I usually only go here for happy hour, but they have great small plates, large plates, and more. It's also hard to recommend specific meals because their menu changes and the things I used to love ordering on the reg got taken off the menu during COVID (especially their large plate menu). 

What to order: Small plates: Al Pastor, Warm & Spicy Nuts, and the Hummus Board. The B&B Burger. Cookie Board. Build Your Own Cheese Board. 

Check out my post about Barley & Board.



Best Denton Burger:

Where: UNDECIDED.

Why: To be honest, my husband makes the best burger ever. But for local spots, I am genuinely torn on this one — each burger restaurant in Denton has totally different burger styles and flavors. 

Barley & Board has a simple but unique burger that was highly rated. 

LSA some delicious burger profiles and the only 2-story restaurant in Denton with rooftop views. 

Denton County Independent Hamburger is the oldest running burger joint with cheap yet flavorful burgers packed with shredded cheese. 

Burger Time Machine has even more flavor options than LSA with high-quality beef. 

Greenhouse has healthy burgers and some local favorites like the Brave Combo Burger and the Opera House Burger (all burgers named after real people or things about Denton). 

RGs has the greasiest burgers with the softest buns, and you can enter an eating contest if you wish. 


Best Denton Taqueria:

Where: La Estrella

Why: No other reason than the best authentic Mexican street tacos in Denton. 

What to order: Carne Asada and Barbacoa tacos on flour tortillas. Don't forget to grab green sauce!

Check out my Denton Taco Crawl blog.





Best Denton Tex-Mex Restaurant:

Where: Villa Grande

Why: I judge a Tex-Mex restaurant by the quality of their chips, salsa and queso — and honestly, I haven't found a local Tex-Mex restaurant that does those fantastically (usually one thing is good but the others are not great). I can't lie...Chuy's is my favorite Tex-Mex restaurant, but for the purposes of this blog, I'm trying to only highlight local spots. For food (not chips/salsa/queso), I recommend Villa Grande. 

What to order: Their house margaritas on the rocks are good. We usually get the fajitas or the street tacos (brisket is my favorite, but my husband gets the steak) on flour tortillas.


Best Denton Pizza:

Where: J&Js Pizza (RIP)

Why: Check out my post about J&Js Pizza.

What to order: This was the best cheese pizza in town. But they couldn't pay rent so they bounced and headed to Gainesville. WOMP. Next in line: Fortunata Winery in Aubrey (just 15 minutes east of Denton).  Get their Pesto wood-fired pizza (pictured above) and save room for the Nutella & Strawberry dessert pizza. 




Best Denton BBQ:

Where: Juicy Pig

Why: Check out my post about Juicy Pig BBQ Denton

What to order: Chopped brisket sandwich or the Mojica sandwich (chopped brisket with mac-n-cheese, pickles and spicy pickled onions). 






Best Denton Sushi Restaurant:

Where: Keiichi 

Why: Hands down, I never thought I'd ever eat raw sushi / sashimi until I went to Keiichi. This place is booked months in advance for a reason — even sushi chefs from Dallas come to Denton to see him. His stuff is so fresh and delicious it literally melts in your mouth and has zero fishy taste or smell — which is the mark of optimal quality. But if you're looking for a cheaper place to grab a delicious sushi roll, my top picks are I Love Sushi or Komodo Loco

What to order: Get the Tempura California Roll and the Tiger Roll at I Love Sushi. Get the Cowabunga Roll at Komodo Loco. Get beef tataki, beef jalepeno cream cheese roll, and any of the sashimi at Keiichi.

Check out my post about Keiichi Denton

Check out my post about Komodo Loco


Best Denton Thai Restaurant:

Where: Thai Ocha

Why: Thai Ocha and Thai Square are honestly very similar in deliciousness. Thai Ocha is my favorite though because it's cheaper and like a mile away from my house, so we go often. 

What to order: We ALWAYS order the Yellow Chicken Curry to-go. It is the best ever, I literally crave it every week. 

Check out my post about Thai Ocha Denton.




Best Denton Chinese Restaurant:

Why: This Asian fusion restaurant has been in Denton for a long time. I wouldn't say it is the best Chinese restaurant I've ever been to, but it's probably the best local Chinese food restaurant in Denton. 

What to order: Starters: Pan-Fried Pork Dumplings / Pot Stickers. Entrees: Pad See Ew, Chicken Yakisoba, or some kind of stir fry. 

Check out my post about Mr. Chopsticks Denton




Best Denton Food Truck:

Why: I am a huge hibachi fan and love going to Jin Beh in Lewisville. But when I want something nearby, I order dinner from the food truck yard and sit down at East Side for a beer.

What to order: Starter: Fried Shrimp Dippers with sauce. Entree: Wagyu steak with fried rice and hibachi veggies. Get the hibachi ginger sauce for dipping. 




Best Denton Treat:

Why: Beth Marie's is a Denton original and iconic old fashioned ice cream parlor. The original location is on the Denton square and has since expanded, even selling at local Central Market grocery stores! 

What to order: Big Rig (roasted peanuts, salted caramel, toffee bits, oreos) in a chocolate waffle cone. 

Check out my blog interviewing the owners of Beth Maries




Best Denton Snack:

Why: Denton's first and only specialty cheese shop that has the highest quality artisan cheese selection in town. Perfect for grabbing a cheese board to-go, taking it to the Denton Square lawn for a picnic, or taking it home to enjoy a charcuterie night with friends. 

What to order: Cheese board to-go. Approximately $25 for two people. Add the espresso lavender dry-rubbed cheese and the truffle cheese to your order. I also love a good aged white cheddar and manchego. I always ask for no stinky cheeses (bleu, gorgonzola, etc) or brie (I only like my brie baked). Go on Wednesdays to get a grilled cheese!

Check out my post about Ten:One Cheese.


Best Denton Brunch:

Where: Hannah's

Why: They have a fantastic patio perfect for brunching. Their meals are high quality and mostly farm-to-table, so the prices are more similar to a brunch place in Dallas. But it's worth it. 

What to order: Get a carafe of the Guava Mimosas (cheaper per glass and just enough for 2-3 people). White truffle fries. Green chili enchiladas. Quinoa breakfast bowl. Biscuits and gravy. Breakfast breads (depending on the daily offering). 

Check out my post about Hannah's Denton.



Best Denton Breakfast:

Why: Seven Mile was located in downtown Denton in a tiny building, and they were so popular they kept outgrowing the buildings they were in. So they moved to South Denton in a much larger, beautiful space. I recommend checking in on Yelp before you go to save yourself from long weekend waits. 

What to order: Honey lavender iced latte. Berry Dream waffle. Bananza pancake. Gravy Train. Loaded Potato. Avocado Scramble. 

Check out my post about Seven Mile Cafe Denton.



Best Denton Coffee Shop:

Where: UNDECIDED.

Why: I honestly love every single one of Denton's coffee shops for all different reasons. 

Zera's Coffee Shop is a nonprofit coffee shop benefitting Denton Freedom House

West Oak and Jupiter House has all the vibes I love about a hipster coffee shop that welcomes conversations with friends on the Denton square. 

Son's Coffee is great if you need an outlet to work or study, with a totally modern spaceship vibe and unique menu. 

Golden Boy has the highest quality coffee with very colorful, inclusive vibes. 

The Mug is a pop-up and coffee truck. 

Elevated Grounds is the best drive-thru shop on your way to work. 


Best Denton Fine Dining:

Where: Keiichi or Hannah's

Why: If you consider fine dining based on price, then I pick Keiichi. You can easily spend $150 for two people here. If you consider fine dining as a fancy experience with white table cloths, I would pick Hannah's. 

What to order: Check out my post about Keiichi Denton. Hannah's menu changes more frequently than I get to go for a fancy dinner so I don't have any recommendations - it all sounds delicious. 




Best Denton Happy Hour:

Why: Barley & Board is a stylish New American restaurant with the best happy hour in town. Most cocktails and glasses of wine are $5, and beers $4. They not only have a great drink menu, but during happy hour you get the best value because their cocktails are normally around $10 each. Forget those "$1 off drinks" happy hour specials - Barley and Board does happy hour right.

What to order: The Opera House cocktail.




Best Denton Patio Restaurant:

Where: Red's Yard

Why: Red's Yard in Denton has a huge back patio that they play live music on during the week. They serve a cross between BBQ and comfort food (lots of fried goodies). 

What to order: Get the Banderos and Fried Deviled Eggs for starters. These starters come with the "toothpicks" (fried jalepenos) so you don't need to order those separately. You'll be full after these! 

Check out my post about Red's Yard.



Best Denton Patio Bar:

Why: OSDH is also owned by East Side and Miss Angelines. So I don't feel bad about not picking one of these other top-notch patio bars because you're supporting the same team. OSDH was the original beer garden in Denton and usually a little less crowded than East Side, so it's naturally my top pick. 

What to order: I prefer hard ciders to beers any day, so I typically order an Apple Pineapple or Dark Cide from Dallas-based Bishop Cider. Denton County Brewing Company also makes incredible hard ciders. 



Best Denton Cocktail Bar:

Why: There's just something special about Denton's speakeasy bar, Paschal's, with it's old world style, chess set and first craft cocktail bar. They don't even really advertise their location, so it's upstairs from Andy's Bar.

What to order: the Old Fashioned or the Mojito. 





Best Denton Beer Bar:

Why: East Side Social has over 80 tap beers (and over 40 different types of whiskey/bourbon). It's also a beer garden with a food truck yard attached!

What to order:  I love getting local-ish beers like Local Buzz or anything from our local breweries: Armadillo Ale Works or Denton County Brewing Company

 




Best Denton Brewery:

What to order: Armadillo Ale Works is Denton's most successful (and oldest) existing brewery that's making waves in DFW and beyond. 

What to order: They have daily specials that I recommend trying out -- as low as $2 beers on draft -- and a revolving door of seasonable beers. The beers I enjoy most are summer seasonals, the Tropical Squeeze and Wundermelon. The Scrappy Boy and Honey Please are a non-seasonal, light beers that are great on any day. 



Best Denton Wine Bar:

Why: I don't just say Steve's Wine Bar because it's the only true wine bar in Denton. It was my favorite even when there was another wine bar in Denton, and I have loved this place since they opened in 2016. Steve and Karen (the owners) are the most welcoming people that make you feel like family, even if it's your first time. They have taken the time to get to know their customers, build relationships and get really involved in the community that it truly does feel like home walking in. Plus, they have live jazz music every week! They also have a great selection of affordable wines. 

What to order: I typically order a glass of red house wine ($5) or a bottle that's $25 or less. However I do suffer from oenophilia (a strong love of wine) so here are my go-to bottles on any given day: Sauvignon Blancs from Marlborough New Zealand, Pinot Noirs from Willamette Valley (or at least Oregon), Tempranillos from Texas, and cabs from Napa Valley.  


Best Denton Margarita:

Where: Milpa

Why: It's the land of 100+ margaritas and best to take advantage of during happy hour. 

What to order: Infused margaritas on the rocks: strawberry mint, cucumber watermelon, and lavender pear.  I recommend ordering the tacos or getting a few small plates.  





Best Denton Cocktail:

Where: Barley & Board

Why: Even though Barley and Board has a great happy hour with most cocktails at $5, I would pay normal price for this unique cocktail you won't find anywhere else. It's named after the pink/purple building next door. A true Denton cocktail staple! 

What to order: The Opera House cocktail.





Best Denton Brew:

Where: Denton County Brewing Company

Why: DCBC is experimenting with new brews all the time and most of them sound amazing. I'm not a huge beer drinker, but they make a MEAN batch of delicious seltzers you do not want to miss out on. Most of their creations are limited and get snatched quickly. 

What to order: Any seltzer, but I really enjoyed the Froot Punch recently. 




Best Denton Thrift / Resale Shop:

Why: Twice as Nice not only has a great selection of clothing, jewelry, home goods and more, but it's a nonprofit that proceeds benefit Women to Women Pregnancy Resource Center. They always get great stuff, because people want to donate to them! They also have a huge, dedicated home furnishings section of great furniture and home decor. 





Best Denton Gift Shop:

Where: DIME Store

Why: The DIME Store has a large selection of quality, handcrafted goods from local makers and artists. You'll find everything from home decor to ceramic mugs and greeting cards. It's a Denton staple worth checking out. Some items I have gotten from there that I still love today include a screen printed Denton tank top, a hand carved wooden spoon I use for my daily coffee grinds, and some handmade earrings.




Best Denton Clothing Shop:

Where: UNDECIDED

Why: The short answer is: I don't really have one. I don't really shop for clothes that often and some of my favorite things I've bought from local shops is merch from my favorite places. To be honest, I prefer thrift and resale shops because I feel like I get the biggest bang out of my buck and have found some awesome things that I love wearing for a fraction of the cost. But when it comes to clothing specifically, it's hard to put a favorite on a resale shop because the selection changes often. So I leave this category undecided.



Best Denton Book Store:

Why: Recycled Books is an iconic bookstore that has been around for decades. All used books, records, movies, and more. Being located inside of a historic pink/purple building on the Denton square adds to it's maze-like vibes in this 3-story bookstore that people still love today. I'm not an avid reader but I love going into Recycled Books to browse the isles and unique sections (even a "books for tall people" section!) that makes me want to be a total book worm! 

Check out my blog interviewing the owner of Recycled Books.



Best Denton Jewelry Shop:

Why: This store is a treat just to walk in. It's got all the eclectic vibes and hidden treasures you didn't know you wanted. You don't even need to be a hippie, hipster or whimsical person to enjoy coming here to shop. And if you're looking for a pendant or part to enhance your jewelry collection, you're in luck here. I was in between Sleeping Lizards and Juliet's Jewels as my favorite jewelry store because both are full of fun finds, but chose Sleeping Lizzards because there's so much more to the store than jewelry that you're bound to find something you love. 



Best Denton Vintage Store:

Where: Les Muses

Why: I never understood vintage fashion shopping until I went to Les Muses. I was shocked at how many things were truly vintage that we're literally calling my name — timeless treasures and re-trending items of styles that came back in full swing. I bought a few things off the bat, but loved so many things in there that it totally shifted my outlook on vintage shops. 

Check out my post about Denton vintage stores.




Best Denton Entertainment: 

Where: Free Play (COMING SOON)

Why: I enjoy a good arcade bar. Cidercade in Dallas was my first experience of an arcade bar that I fell in love with, and when Denton got a Free Play, I was stoked. Except I wasn't excited about their location west of Carroll Blvd — formerly a bunch of different places, and the smallest parking lot ever. When they closed down during the pandemic, I was sad about it. But then they resurrected into something so much better that I cannot wait until they open this year. The new location will be held ON the square in the former Abbey Inn / Abbey Underground building, making it a 2-story arcade bar (in fact, the largest Free Play location to exist) and a way better spot to be entertained downtown. 


Best Denton Park:

Why: I chose to live by North Lakes Park for lots of reasons. But the park itself is my favorite with plenty of trails to walk, jog or bike on. It has two ponds you can "fish" at, a disc golf course (now 2 courses!), a dog park, Goldfield Tennis Courts, North Lakes Driving Range, North Lakes Rec Center, baseball and soccer fields, and so much more. It's the perfect place for your daily exercise or a fun family-friendly event. It's the park where everything's happening! 

Check out my post about North Lakes Park Denton.



Best Denton Gym:

Where: Summit Gym

Why: Summit Gym is more than a rock climbing gym. It's got great yoga classes (for ALL levels of experience), abs classes, treadmills, stationery bikes, free weights, and more. Plus. the rock climbing at the Denton location is only free bouldering, which means you don't need a partner to help belay you up the wall, because there are no ropes involved. It's also conveniently located right off the downtown Denton square. 

Check out my post about Summit Denton.





Best Marketing Service:



Where: The Digital Perch and Aspiro Agency

Why: Okay I am TOTALLY biased on this one so you can ignore this recommendation. I work full-time for Aspiro Agency and it is truly the best job I have ever had in my 10-year digital marketing career. And I started a side-biz called The Digital Perch, which is digital marketing services for real estate agents. I also think Denton has some of the best small digital marketing agencies in DFW and have relationships with many agency owners here in town that I could easily refer business to. 

Learn more about The Digital Perch.  


What else do you want to know? Tell me in the comments and I will add it to the list. 



Popular posts from this blog

Best Denton Happy Hour: Hot Spots for Cheap Drinks & Specials

Made in Denton: Small Business Stories | Beth Marie's Ice Cream

Made in Denton: Small Business Stories | Oak Street Drafthouse, East Side & Miss Angelines